The 2 Day Leopard Trail Run
The Leopard Trail Run is a circular 2-day run, using the path of the 4-day Leopard Trail Hike in the Baviaanskloof. Runners combine the hike’s day 1 and 2 into one day, and the hike’s day 3 and 4 into the second day of running. The trail is a single track path, of which around 70% is good for easy running. The remaining 30% will require careful running or walking, especially on the ascents and descents where there is loose material on the path. You are based at Cedar Falls Base Camp, and return to your accommodation each night. Runners are required to arrive the evening before the run. The price of the run is R850 per person , which includes three nights’ accommodation in the Hikers House https://gobaviaans.co.za/project/hikers-house/ and the permit for the 2-day trail. Only one group of runners will be doing the run at a time, with a minimum of 4 and a maximum of 12 in your group. Non runners can join the group and stay at the Hikers House at a reduced rate of R170 per night.
TRAIL RUN DAY 1
Day 1 : To get you going the run begins with the Kick-start climb up onto the plateau. From there onward it is a perfect-to-run tame and smooth sand-packed trail for around 13 km through spectacular Baviaanskloof valleys and kloofs. Then the climbing and rolling hills and traverse lines kick in, making the last third of the day a good challenge. Rock pools and water at two spots along the trail, with the one being 200 meters off the main path (signposted and marked on map).
TRAIL RUN DAY 2
The climb out of from Cedar Falls Base Camp up Honeybush Kloof is a good effort, and thereafter the traverse lines and climbs keep going up and down for about 4kms. This part of the trail is tricky at times with loose material on the path on the ascents and descents. The run along the valley floor and river bed down Kasey Kloof is a smooth and chilled 8km. The trail then turns west into the awesome Birdsong Kloof for another 5km of easy running, before hitting the biggest climb of the trail, Fond Farewell. Very few will run this as it feels straight up and is loose underfoot, through walking it is not likely to give you any sense of a rest. Once on the plateau it is a good path meandering up and down the ridge lines before your final steep descent down to Cedar Falls Base Camp. There is water at two points on the day’s run, with one being at the hikers 3rd night camp site.
Red Cliffs Farmhouse
Contact us to book your Leopard 2 Day Trail Run
To book your trail run, give Catherine a call at 074 939 4395, or send us a message below.